Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Luna


Well, I have to admit I have been disgracefully bad in the "post something to your blog already" department. I apologize. I have been overwhelmed. And it's partly because I am a sucker.

Amid the craziness of holiday preparations and kids' schedules, I somehow detoured over to our local animal shelter. It is a dismal place. They try. Really, they do. I know this. I know they are way underfunded, and running almost entirely on volunteer labor. But despite knowing this I avoid the place because it depresses me tremendously. If I could get past this feeling I would volunteer there. But despite knowing I ran the risk of ruining my holiday, somehow I ended up there just the same.

I didn't really intend to bring home another dog. The kids had been talking about one. But I knew it would really have to be the right dog to work in our household. I love Teak; but he can be a bit...difficult. So, I guess you could say I was at the shelter sort of mentally trying on the idea of another dog. And that's when it happened.

Have you ever been picked by a dog? I hadn't. I had heard of it happening; but had never experienced it myself. Luna picked me. And believe me, when it happens, you know you have been picked. But still, I really hadn't intended to go home with a dog, so I didn't.

I went home and thought about it. And the next day I went back and walked the shelter property with the dog they had dubbed Mallory, a name which really didn't suit her at all, as far as I was concerned. This dog gave hugs. She gave kisses. She walked politely by my side. She played. She was the anti-Teak. She loved me and I loved her right back. Still, another dog? Now?

The next day, I took the kids, and Teak, to meet her. She came home with us. It was 3pm. At 9pm, the dog we had rechristened as Luna developed labored breathing, and massive quantities of foul green snot. I took her to the emergency vet. They ran tests. Took pictures of her innards. And then came back to tell me Luna had a horrendous case of pneumonia and a collapsed lung.

Three vet appointments and $1500 later, Luna is doing great! Christmas will be a little slimmer than expected this year. But we have an awesome new addition to our family. Say hello to Luna!

1 comment:

Meg said...

Oh, welcome Luna! She looks like a cutie. I had a dog in college that I named Luna, so I have a fondness for the name.

And yes, we were "picked" by our old hounddog, Cassie. I miss her so much. I'm looking forward to getting another dog in the spring. I'm hoping that a dog will find us again--because they are the best kind.

Glad to hear from your blog again. Hope you had a merry day with your family!