Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Future Garden


I thought I would post a picture of what I plan to turn into the mega-garden. This corner of our backyard gets the best light. The giant pine on the end there will most likely have to go. Don't yell at me please; I hate to do it, but a girl has gotta have a little sun in her life! There are a number of others just like it across the back of the yard and they are all safe. Plus, if I cut down the tree my neighbor likes to hack at, I steal his joy. Not that I'm bitter.

Anyhoo... The little cinder block bed is my garlic bed (it's doing very well!). Right next to it will be the first spinach, in that dug up area. It will also be a raised bed. To the right you can see our three Concord grape vines. And to the far right you can see a little bit of the enormous maple tree that I love (and which is safe), but which casts an enormous shadow over what would otherwise be the best spot for a garden. Humph.

The roof at the bottom of the picture is the roof on the sunroom. So that gives you an idea of what I see from that room. Also, towards the back, almost in the center of the picture, is one of the two dogwoods. I may eventually take that out too, but not now. The line of pines produces a dense line of shade along the back. I know dogwoods grow in woods; but I really think they are happier with a bit more light. My two back there are a bit sparse. The gardener in me can be brutal- perform or be evicted, unless you are especially interesting or sentimental. Being new to this yard, I have no great personal attachment to any of the existing plantings; but I know the former owner does, and I know he comes by once in a while. I almost cried when I took out a nasty prickly bush in the front, because I didn't want to sadden him. But, I have also come to believe that the ghost of his departed wife hates me and wants me out of her house. Grrr... (So Marie, consider this game-on. Quit causing me trouble in the house and I'll quit pulling up your plants in the yard. Otherwise... it could get ugly...)

No comments: