Thursday, May 14, 2009

How To Build A Sketchy Fence

My gardening priorities this spring have been quite clear: make up for time lost to rain and get the stuff in the ground already! So it's really no surprise to me that I failed to protect the garden from Teak and Luna's recent blitz attack. This gardener, however, has a pretty steep learning curve. The last couple days have involved gathering the bits required to fence the garden, and actually throwing up the fence.

Now, when I say "throwing up the fence," what I'm really talking about is pounding the snot out of a wagon load of cheap wooden posts with the back of a hatchet, cursing surface roots, losing several layers of finger skin while unrolling chicken wire, plucking splinters left by previously mentioned cheap posts, and attaching accursed chicken wire to cheap wooden posts with nylon wire ties. Just to be clear...

Honestly, building the fence took no more than two hours. This fence won't win any design or execution awards. But with any luck at all (and if you've been reading here for a while, you'll know that's a big "if") it will protect the veggies. I haven't installed the door yet. I'll do that tomorrow, after I fix the new fence. Say what?!

I figured, in my optimistic little gardener brain of mine, that Teak and Luna would come out the back door and say "Whoa! Look at that big new fence!" But no. They went out the back door, heard the neighbor dog, and shot off down their usual route... which naturally ran right through the previously unfenced garden. However, as we have seen, the garden was now fenced. Have you ever seen two biggish dogs slam full-speed into a wire fence and pile on top of each other. I am sure it's a sight that would be hysterical if you had not just finished building the fence. Because two speeding dogs provide enough momentum to knock a fence post jaunty. Remember that, in case anyone ever asks you how much momentum two speeding dogs create. Enough to knock a fence post jaunty.

Who will be left standing- fence and gardener or canine tag-team? Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I have 2 biggish dogs, too, and could easily see them doing the same thing. My new garden in in the side yard outside of the fenced back yard where the dogs rule. Good luck reinforcing your fence! Once they get used to it maybe they'll be more careful...