Saturday, May 2, 2009

What A Day

Today, the kids and I went to the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. I've wanted to get out there the last few years, but this was the first time we actually made it. Patrick was not so into it. But Libby and I were in fiber artist heaven. She knits, an art I have yet to master. I have done some weaving, although I haven't spent the (considerable) money on my own loom (yet). Today I bought some colored wool for myself because I want to try felting. We picked up Libby a couple skeins of yarn. I forgot to get pictures of our purchases. Maybe tomorrow. But here are a couple of some of the cuties we met today. They are Jacob sheep. The Jacobs are a rare breed in America, currently registered as Threatened by the American Livestock Breed Conservancy. I think in the past they were listed as Critical (but don't quote me on that), but small breeders have been steadily improving their numbers. Jacob sheep often have more than two horns. Patrick was a little creeped out by the four-horned ones we saw; but naturally Libby thought they were totally cool. I could not have two more different children.
Naturally, after walking around the fairgrounds for a while, we were thirsty and had to stop to get.... dranks... (how did this land of promise sink so low?)


When we got home, the yard had dried enough for me to finish mowing the backyard. And then it was still light enough outside to snap a few pics of the garden. The radishes have intrigued me. The heirloom variety's top growth is keeping pace nicely with the Cherry Belle; but the Cherries are bulbing up partly out of the ground and the Watermelon (heirloom) have remained entirely underground. Interesting. The spinach and rocket are coming along nicely. Garlic looks great. I must not have steamed all the potatoes, because some are starting to poke above ground. I popped a few bean seeds in the ground a few days ago, but they have yet to make an appearance. The few onions I got in the ground so far have moved from "hanging on" to "doing okay." Oh, and I finally remembered to to get pics of the oca. There is still so much to get in the ground, and so few plantable days.

No comments: